Catholic Church health care stance is schizophrenic


Here’s a great article about the Catholic Chruch and their attempt to force the Obama administration to exclude any abortion provision to their reform. Despite the fact the Church has been asking the government for decades to provide citizens with Universal health care (I’ll give them props for that one), they are now threatening to withdraw their support because women who have been sexually assaulted or who’s lives may be in danger due to their pregnancy would be able to have an abortion.

I think it’s about time the Catholics drop this issue once and for all. It’s not something they are about to win. In our modern society, we recognize women ultimately have the right to control their own bodies. The fact that the Church is trying to use its influence to potentially kill reform because of abortion proves they are more interested in zygotes than they are in living, breathing human beings.

Some bishops argue that they do care about the poor while simultaneously refusing to acknowledge that poor women have the right to determine the fates of their own bodies. Bishop Murphy of Rockville Centre, N.Y. says, “we strongly oppose inclusion of abortion as part of a national health care benefit.” But he also calls healthcare “not a privilege but a right.” The glaring discrepancy is obvious, but to be fair, spotting neon contradictions and gaping holes in logic are not the Catholic church’s strong suits.

Couldn’t have put it any better myself.

Spread the outrage

Comments (15)

  • avatar

    Ben

    “they are now threatening to withdraw their support because women who have been sexually assaulted or who’s lives may be in danger due to their pregnancy would be able to have an abortion”

    Did you know that these two reasons only account for 5% of all abortions, according to Planned Parenthood? The other 95% are just as a form of birth control.

    I’d level with them: Make those 5% of abortions legal, the other 95% illegal.

  • avatar

    Jacob Fortin

    It’s not a question of legality, but whether or not it should be covered by health care Ben. Like it or not, it’s legal.

  • avatar

    Ben

    From what I can find (and I may be wrong) abortion typically isn’t covered under current health insurers, unless it’s a medical emergency (remember, less that 5% of all abortions). So why is it a surprise that they’d be against this?

  • avatar

    Philip Lynch

    I really don’t know what’s so hard to understand. The Catholic Church believes life begins at conception, so the Church is against abortion. The Church wants a universal health care plan, but it doesn’t want that plan to include killing human beings. That is not inconsistent or hard to understand. The Catholic Church doesn’t want just ANY plan whatsoever! Imagine if there was a plan that included federal money to kill poor people. The Church would oppose that too. Would your blog then say it’s some kind of contradiction and say, the Church has been asking for health care for everyone for decades but unbelievably they’re rejecting it now just because it includes a provision to kill poor people! They should just take what they get! The Catholic cannot and will not accept something that’s partly evil because it also has good in it!

  • avatar

    Injun Trouble

    Like the t-shirt says…”Against abortion? Don’t have one”. Outside of that, mind your own business.

  • avatar

    Ginkgo100

    You know the word “schizophrenic”? I do not think it means what you think it means. (Apologies to William Goldman.) I think the word you want here, in fact, is “consistent”: consistent dedication to protecting the lives and dignity of all people. You might want to note that there are a number of official and unofficial Catholic charity groups whose mission is to support and assist women with crisis pregnancies.

    You should acquaint yourself with another term: “straw man.” There is no talk in this health care debate of making abortion illegal. The issue is whether public money will be used to pay for abortions. Pretty big difference.

  • avatar

    Roxanne R

    I think everyone on this planet with a penis needs to stay out of the decision on whether or not abortion should be legal or illegal, insured or uninsured…. etc, etc.

    Abortions should be a private matter. End of discussion.

  • avatar

    Ginkgo100

    Roxanne, I can’t help but note that in half of potential abortions, somebody with a Y-chromosome (and, after about 10 weeks gestation, a penis as well) has a very significant interest in the final decision.

  • avatar

    Injun Trouble

    A majority of men would welcome not having to be responsible for a roll in the hay for the next 18+ years of their life. Bottom line is, birth control is not 100%. Nobody needs to be punished for that remaining percentage by being forced to birth a child…OR to financially support it. It’s bad enough I’m (and every tax payer in the U.S.) supporting the children of families who are on welfare and ADC and popping kids out willy-nilly.

  • avatar

    Max

    What is the churches stance on fertility clinics? How many pro-lifers are against fertility clinics? How many zygotes or fertilized eggs end up dead due to the attempts of a fertility clinic. Yet you see no one standing out side a fertility clinic waving signs and screaming. How hypocritical is that.
    The Catholic church doesn’t give a damn about death or killing they only really care about money and suffering. There motto should be ‘give us your money and we will show you how to really suffer’. They don’t want zygotes to die, they never have a chance to really suffer or tithe.

  • avatar

    Rebekah

    It’s kind of weird how some people assume that everyone can take care of a child. A lot of people are financially unstable and taking care of a child would only make that child’s life miserable and the parents miserable. But as long as she has the baby I guess it doesn’t matter how their lives turn out.

  • avatar

    girl_a_saurus_rex

    Actually Ben, most private insurance companies do have a provision for optional abortion up to a certain point in the pregnancy.

  • avatar

    Ben

    @girl_a_saurus Do you have a source for that information? The only thing I could find was that it was sometimes covered, but only in case of medical emergency.

  • avatar

    b. olson

    Sex it the creation of life. you were created by sex, so if you don’t want a child, don’t have sex, saves on a lot of problems down the road. If you want to have sex, and not a child, nuter yourself, you can have sex until the cows come home no worries. If you have sex and become with child, and you murder it then you have to answer to God, but sience you are god all ready, then that should be a problem,(how is the peace process working out for you?)The bottom line you are wrong to kill a baby, and that the end of it. We are the only socierty in the world that will tear down a building to save a trapped cat, unless that building is a babby killing building. Save the cat-kill a baby, you think!!!!

  • avatar

    b. olson

    Sex is to create life, if you do not want to create life don’t have sex, saves a lot of time and trouble down the road. If you want to have sex and not the creation of life, then get yourself nutered, can have sex and no problems. If you have sex and create a baby, and you decide to murder that child, then you are a murderer, and you will have to face God and explain it to Him, but since you are a god now it sould not bother you at all, (how is that peace process working out for you?)The bottem line is your are murdering a child and no amount of any leberal ideals will change that. We are the only society that will tear down a building to save a trapped cat, unless it is a murdering child building then the cat will loose.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to top